Varsity Hockey Team Kills Boston College, 11-6

Goodenow's Penalty-Shot Goal Highlights the Beanpot Contest

By Elizabeth P. Eggert

Harvard's varsity hockey team, coming off an 18-day layoff period, tortured veteran Boston College goalie Ned Yetten last Monday night to show 8033 Boston Garden fans that the Crimson post-exam slump tradition could be broken.

Harvard skated to an impressive 11-6 victory over the Eagles in the semi-final round of the Beanpot Hockey Tournament, earning the right to meet defending champion Boston University next Monday in the Tournament finals.

Boston College, with Yetten's superb goaltending, managed to match Harvard goal for goal during the first half of the game. The turning point came midway through the second period when Crimson co-captain Bob Goodenow scored a rare penalty shot goal to break a 3-3 tie, giving Harvard a lead it never relinquished.

Goodenow's opportunity came after Yetten, pulled out of position, threw his stick at a loose puck. Referees Bob Barry and Dana Henniger called a penalty shot, and the senior forward skated in alone from the blue line, beating Yetten with a high shot on the stick side.

"I thought that if Yetten came out of the net to meet me, I would go in close to deke around him," Goodenow said. "When he didn't really come out after me, I shot the puck, and it went in."

Yetten proved the key stalwart in the Eagle defense, making 19 saves in the first period alone. Seven of them on Harvard's Leigh Hogan. The B.C. captain netminder blocked a game total of 43 shots, while the Crimson's Jim Murray made 28 saves.

Harvard opened the scoring at 5:56 of the first period when Jim Thomas tipped in a shot by Ted Thorndike. B.C.'s Mike Martin tied the game at 15:17, but two minutes later the Crimson regained the lead on a goal by Thorndike.

The Eagles came back to tie the score at 2-2 early in the second period as Mark Albrecht put in a rebound from the left side. Thorndike notched his second of the night at 7:18, but B.C.'s Jim Doyle converted on an Eagle power play at 8:42 to knot the score at 3-3.

Goodenow's penalty-shot tally came at 10:59, and before the second period's close Crimson sophomore Kevin Carr put Harvard ahead by two. Eagle high scorer Richie Smith narrowed the Crimson lead 23 seconds into the third period, but Harvard's Dan Bolduc answered back 19 seconds later to make it 6-4.

Sophomore Kevin Burke, senior defenseman Levy Byrd, Paul Haley, Hogan, and Steve Dagdigian each tallied once for the Crimson in the remaining minutes while B.C. notched two token goals, making the final score 11-6.

Boston University trounced Northeastern, 6-1, in the other semi-final round of the Beanpot Tournament, and next Monday against Harvard the Terriers will seek their fifth consecutive Beanpot Championship. The Crimson faces Brown and Princeton this week while B.U. lies idle.