Bruins Whip Yardling Icemen; Freshmen Listless in 8-4 Loss

By Thomas Aronson

The Harvard freshman hockey team was crushed again yesterday by the powerful Bruins from Providence, despite the valiant efforts of Crimson goaltender Brian Petrovek. His spectacular 42 save performance could not overcome the general sluggishness of the rest of the Yardling squad, as they fell before the powerful Bruin freshmen, 8-4.

Harvard was suffering the effects of a month and a half layoff due to vacation and exams, and the Brown squad capitalized on the numerous Crimson miscues.

The game amounted to a turkey shoot in front of the Harvard net as the Bruins took fifty shots on goal. The undefeated Brown squad powered past the listless Crimson skaters to a 7-1 lead in the second period, then coasted to their eleventh win of the season.

Brown opened the scoring, as Pat Flanagan poked home the puck at 5:35 of the first stanza. The tally came after a flurry of shots and a series of saves by Petrovek. Two minutes later, the Bruins took a 2-0 lead as the Crimson goalie was once again abandoned by his porous defense and beaten on a backhand shot from five feet out.

The Crimson offense finally clicked at 14:35, as Charlie Flint, taking a pass from Lyman Bullard, bounced a drive off the leg of the Bruin goaltender into the net.

Trailing only 2-1 entering the middle period, largely because of Petrovek's acrobatics in goal, Harvard was overwhelmed by a five goal Brown barrage in the next 20 minutes. The Crimson skaters managed only two shots on the Brown goal in the period, both of which were easily steered aside.

The Yardling finally exploded with less than five minutes remaining in the game. Harvard's Mike Leckie sandwiched goals around a Brown tally and the Crimson's Bill Hozack closed things out with a goal from the corner of the crease at the 17 minute mark.

The Crimson's season log sank to 7-3, with two of those losses being administered by the Bruins, who won the earlier game 6-2.