Crimson Swimmers Meet Princeton Team Today

Undefeated Eastern Aqua-Giants Will Pair Off In Most Important Ivy-League Meet of Year

By James W. Reinig

The Crimson aquamen and the swimming Tigers from Princeton clash at 4 p.m. today in the IAB in what is surely the best dual swim meet in the East this year.

Both squads are not only undefeated (with 5-0 records), having crushed all of their unlucky foes, but they also boast many nationally prominent swimmers including some who have produced among the best times in the nation so far this season.

Crimson freshman Peter Tetlow has recorded a 4:40.36 time in the 500-yard freestyle, a time that has been eclipsed by only four other men, one of whom is Princeton star Joe Loughran, who was timed at 4:38.8 in a meet against Dartmouth on January 29.

Tetlow, however, is a couple of notches ahead of Loughran in the national rankings in the 1000-yard freestyle. Tetlow has been registered at 9:35.9 while Loughran swam a 9:40.3. Both of Tetlow's times are Harvard records and both of Loughran's times are Princeton records.

Key Matchup

Another key matchup will be in the diving department. The Tigers' junior diver Billy Heinz is undefeated in both one-meter and three-meter boards and is ranked fourth nationally. He leads the team in scoring with 40 points.

But the Crimson diving department does not lack stellar personnel. Harvard divers Dave English and Roger Johannigman have dominated what competition they have had this year.

Harvard All-American Hess Yntema is ranked among the top ten nationally in the 200-yard freestyle. His main competition in that event will come from Princeton swimmers Bill Howard and Curt Hayden. Yntema swam a 1:43.87, but the best the Tiger swimmers have managed was 1:46.2 and 1:47.8 by Howard and Hayden respectively.

Both Princeton and Harvard are coming off of exam periods that could affect performances to some extent. Some of the Harvard swimmers, however, used the New England AAU meet last weekend to prepare for the meet, while Princeton swimmers have not seen action since January 29 against Dartmouth.

"When you consider the times, it should be one of the best meets of the year in the nation," is the way Harvard coach Ray Essick described it. "The meet will be decided by the anchor men in the freestyle relay [the last event]," is the way Princeton coach Bill Farley put it.

But no matter how you look at today's meet, with the top ranking in the East and probably the Eastern Swimming League championship at stake, it should be a classic.