OGCP Creates New Positions; Will Analyze U.S. Labor Trends

The Office of Career Services and Off-Campus learning announced today the appointment of three new staff members and the creation of two new positions to analyze future labor market trends and to help students in planning leaves of absence.

Joseph Healy, newly appointed counselor in charge of scholarships, fellowships and foreign opportunities, said yesterday he plans to concentrate on "opening up scholarships now closed to women, especially the Rhodes."

The two new OGCP offices are being filled by Frances K. Knott and Dena Rakoff, both of whom started work last week.

Knott, counselor to leave of absence students, will concentrate on using students who have returned from leaves of absence to help students now planning time away from the College.

Rakoff, labor market analyst, will try to improve student understanding of the job market and explain employment prospects for future college graduates.

A graduate of Gregorian University in Rome with masters degrees in philosophy and theology, Healy will help students who are considering taking time off from Harvard to work or study abroad in finding outside sponsorship for their activities.

There are a "great many unknown fellowships," OGCP director Francis D. Fisher '47 said yesterday, that Healy will try to "make the students more aware of."

Currently working on his Ph.D. dissertation in Near Eastern Languages at Harvard, Healy will replace Katherine A. Hutchins as full-time director of fellowship counselling this summer.

Knott received a B.S. in biology from Ursinus College and an M.S. from Michigan State University. She did additional graduate study at the University of Vermont and at Harvard, and has been involved in developing multi-media environmental programs for junior high school students.

Rakoff holds an A.B. degree from Pembroke College of Brown University and an M.S. in education from the University of Pennsylvania