CHURCH IN A LURCH

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The editorial article by Kenneth T. Hoffman in March 4's Crimson suggests the adoption of a plan by the United Ministry which would give nonpaying University appointments to all 21 ministers serving the Harvard-Radcliffe community. Hoffman is opposed to having money which is, after all, paid into the University by members of all religions, used for religious purposes only by Protestants, Catholics and Jews.

I agree with his point. The present situation is intolerable precisely because at the moment, thousands upon thousands of dollars in University funds are poured into church services for Protestants, while Catholics, Buddhists, Jews, Mohammedans and others must foot the bill for their own, equally beautiful and educational religious programs. If there is to be no distinction made between members of an "established" church at Harvard and members of "unestablished" churches, the answer wouls seem to be to "disestablish" the preachership altogether. To use the money of members of other religions for services which they cannot attend (if they are to be faithful to their own) is a very real kind of taxation without representation.

It would seem that the day of an Established, and Financially Favored, church at Harvard ought to be over. Mrs. Henry David Epstein