Celtics Capture Division Title; Bruins Ice Rangers, Sox Split

John Havlicek dumped in 29 points as the Boston Celtics smashed the injury-riddled Capital Bullets, 129-103, last night at the Boston Garden to clinch the Atlantic Division in the National Basketball Association.

Commanding Lead

The Celtics took a commanding lead at the end of the first quarter as Tom Heinson went to his bench early in the second period. For a seven-minute stretch in the second period, the Celtics outscored the Bullets, 20-8, as Paul Westphal scored ten points and Artie Williams eight.

Phil Chenier and Tom Kezelke each contributed 15 points in a losing cause for Capital, and Kevin Porter added 14.

The Celtics sport a season record of 52-23 with only seven games remaining. The New York Knicks, who played at Los Angeles later last night, stand second with five games left.

If the Celtics and Knicks should be tied in the standings at the end of the regular season, Boston will be declared the winner because the Celtics have won the series against the Knicks, 5-2.

In other local sports, the Boston Bruins defeated the New York Rangers, 5-2, yesterday in a National Hockey Association game.

In baseball, the Boston Red Sox split their squad into two groups for two regularly scheduled exhibition games and defeated the Philadelphia Phillies, 10-7, at Clearwater while dropping a 4-3 decision to the St. Louis Cardinals at St. Louis Cardinals at St. Petersburg.