Harvard Places Three Skaters, Two Cagers On All-Ivy Hockey and Basketball Squads

Harvard's hockey team dominated the All-Ivy League selections announced yesterday, placing junior All-American Randy Roth and senior Levy Byrd on the first team and senior Bob Goodenow on the second team.

Joining Roth at forward were Bobby Kane of Yale and Tom Flemming of Dartmouth. George Kuzmicz of Cornell joined Byrd on defense and Yale's Ken MacKenzie was selected as goalie.

Roth, a first-team selection to both ECAC and All-American teams, led the Ivy League in scoring, amassing 53 points with 21 goals and 32 assists. Goodenow, who was selected to the second team All-ECAC, collected 40 points this season and finished third on the Ivy League scoring list.

Byrd totaled only 13 points this season but was a major factor in Harvard's defense, which returned with only one experienced player in Mark Noonan. After hearing of his first team All-Ivy honors, Byrd said yesterday, "I wasn't expecting it at all; I didn't think anyone noticed me out on the ice."

No Flash in the Pan

When informed of Byrd's selection, Coach Bill Cleary said, "Levy is not a flashy player, but he does a lot of things well. He deserves it."

"I think all the boys that were picked deserved it," Cleary said, "and I am very pleased for them." He pointed out, however, that Harvard had the top five scorers in the Ivy League, but "I guess that only a certain number could be selected."

In basketball, junior Lou Silver was selected to the first team All-Ivy while captain Tony Jenkins made the second team. Senior Ken Wolfe earned honorable mention. Jim Beercroft and Ron Haigler of Penn and Phil Brown and Eddie Morris of Brown accompanied Silver on the first team.

During the season, Silver led Harvard in both scoring and rebounding, sporting a 15.8 point average and grabbing 10.8 rebounds per game. Jenkins, a first team selection last year, concentrated on fitting into Sanders's patterned offense this season and trailed Silver in scoring and rebounding with a 15.5 scoring average and 9.3 rebounds per game.