Petrocelli, Rice Star in Red Sox Win

Rookie Jim Rice belted a three-run homer and Rico Petrocelli contributed in three decisive rallies with three hits yesterday, sparking the Boston Red Sox to an 8-4 exhibition victory over the Chicago White Sox.

Rice, who drove in five runs with a homer and two singles against the Philadelphia Phillies Sunday, hit his homer off Bart Johnson with two out in the fourth. It was the last Boston hit as the last 13 batters were retired in order.

Petrocelli, coming back after nursing a sore elbow for a couple of days, lined two doubles and a single. He drove in one run and scored three.

Chicago starter Bruce Gossage allowed seven hits and walked two in three innings, but only one of the four runs off him was earned.

Reggie Cleveland went five innings for Boston, allowing six hits, including a two-run homer by Tony Muser. Rogelio Moret was wild in the last four innings for the Red Sox, but managed to hold the White Sox scoreless.

The victory was the 10th in 12 exhibition games for the Red Sox. The White Sox have a 5-7 record.