Swimmers Wary of Yale Hex In Season's Final Dual Meet

By Dennis P. Corbett

November--The Yale football team grounds a high-flying Harvard 11 in the Yale Bowl, 35-0, surprising everybody and extinguishing the Crimson's hopes for a share of the Ivy League title.

February--The Yale hockey team, skating in the friendly confines of Ingalls Rink, rises from the mediocrity of a losing season to hand the league-leading Crimson its first setback in eight games and slow Harvard's drive toward an Ivy Championship.

March--The Yale swimming team, "shaved down" and inspired by a capacity crowd at Kipputh Exhibition Pool, upsets the undefeated Crimson aquamen, dropping Harvard into a first-place tie with Princeton.

An unlikely scenario? Perhaps, but this afternoon's matchup between the heretofore invincible Harvard swimming armada and the struggling Bulldogs of Yale has the ingredients of another major Eli upset.

Yale is suffering through its worst season in history. Winners of the Ivy swimming championship in 14 of the last 18 years, Yale this year has fallen to Stanford, Pennsylvania, Dartmouth and Princeton. Last week's 91-22 loss to the Tigers, a team manhandled by the Crimson three weeks ago, was Yale's worst ever.

All of this means that with a victory this afternoon, the Bulldogs can erase a lot of bad memories and salvage an otherwise disastrous season. In addition, Yale will be swimming before a partisan home crowd and will be trying to avenge last year's 70-43 loss to the Crimson in the IAB.

Despite Yale's 6-4 overall record, Crimson coach Ray Essick is aware of Yale's potential. "If they make a major preparation for the meet, including shaving, every race will be tight," he said yesterday.

Shaving Down

Essick is wary because "shaving down" is a swimming strategy that can significantly lower times. It psychologically drains a team, however, because it demands a total effort. It is used most effectively only once in a season, when the team needs a peak performance.

The Bulldogs are led by captain Chuck Holum, a long distance freestyle specialist. Holum will be trying to stay with Crimson freshman Peter Tetlow, unbeaten this year in both the 100- and 500-yd. freestyle.

All-Ivy backstroker Eric Fish, freestyler Buddy Orland, freshman Chip Tom in the breastroke, butterfly specialist Kurt Spohn, and freestyle sprinters Guy Stone and Bruce Featherstone all play key roles in the Bulldog strategy.

The Crimson should not lack incentive for this afternoon's meet. A victory would mean an undefeated season and undisputed possession of the Ivy title that has eluded them since 1962.