Grad Students Tell TRO Panel They Need Cash

By Amanda Bennett

Graduate student complaints about inadequate funding for teaching fellows overshadowed a discussion of teaching methods at a symposium last night sponsored by the Teaching Resources Office (TRO).

President Bok moderated the discussion between the six-member panel and an audience of about 50 graduate students. The topic was the future of the teaching fellow and Bok began the meeting by saying that institutions around the country were becoming more and more interested in the quality of the graduate student's teaching.

Elizabeth K. Allison '67, assistant professor of Economics, and Deirdre Southall, associate director of the TRO, both panel members, reiterated the needs they feel graduate students have for instructions on ways of teaching. Allison described the success that new methods of professor-graduate student-undergraduate feedback had met in training sectionmen for Economics 10.

Daniel Garber, a fourth-year graduate student in philosophy and the graduate student representative on the panel, drew applause from the audience of graduate students when he said that salaries for teaching fellows have not kept up with the rise in the cost of living. "This presents serious educational dangers to graduate students, besides being bad in itself," he said.

John Kelly, a teaching fellow in the