Introduction

Going south to where the sun shines brightest is an ideal way to spend spring break. If someone other than yourself is footing the bill it makes the prospects for a good time all the better. If, however, you have to practice day in and day out, a Florida vacation might not seem all that attractive. For Harvard's spring teams, most of which are going south, the one week sojourn is the final stage of preparation for the opening of regular season competition in early April.

Barring bad weather or bad luck, the southern swings should help jell another outstanding group of Crimson squads. With the success Harvard has enjoyed so far this year in football, hockey, squash, swimming and track, the spring teams could add the finishing touch to the finest year in recent Harvard athletic history.

Except for the lacrosse team, Harvard should field strong Ivy contenders in all other sports. Ironically, needing it the most the lacrosee team had to forfeit their spring tour because of rising costs and insufficient funds.

Perhaps it is lucky that Harvard is enjoying a fine year in 1973-74. With the recent NCAA rulings concerning scholarship allocations and the propensity of the athletic department to grow tighter each year, the prospect for the future is not bright. However, for the moment, things are looking up and if the sun smiles on Harvard during the break, there will be a lot of victories for Crimson teams this spring.