Ivy League Colleges Receive No Increase in '74 Applicants

Applications for admission to next fall's freshman classes in the eight Ivy League schools have not changed significantly in number from last year.

A preliminary survey of the schools conducted yesterday revealed that only Princeton, where the number of applicants increased by 12.5 per cent over last year, has shown a change of greater than 10 per cent.

No final figures were available for Harvard, but a spokesman for the office of admissions said yesterday that about 7800 men had applied for admission next September. Last year, 7747 men applied to Harvard.

Alberta Arthurs, Radcliffe dean of admissions and financial aid, said yesterday that 3350 women have applied to Radcliffe, a 6.5-per-cent increase over last year's 3150.

Dartmouth, Cornell and Brown have all experienced less than 10-per-cent growth in the size of their applicant pools this year, while 1 per cent fewer prospective freshmen have applied to Yale. The number of applicants to Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania has remained about the same.

Applications for financial aid have decreased from last year's levels at several of the schools. Arthurs attributed this to misinformation. "Students from middle income families don't think they are qualified for financial aid," she said. In the Ivy League, only Cornell has experienced a growth in the number of financial aid applicants.