Eight Sports Writers Selected to All-Ivy Squads

3 From Harvard Named

By The CRIMSON Sports staff.

All-East, All-New England, All-Ivy, All-State, All-Tournament, All-American, All-Everything... there are enough all-star teams kicking around to cover about every athlete in the country, twice. Well, after selecting and writing about these stellar "Dream Squads," the Crimson Sports Staff decided that it was about time that someone named an All-Ivy Sports Writing Team. So we did.

Ballots were sent out to the sports staffs of the seven Ivy League newspapers, asking for a list of eight sports writers that the sports writers felt worthy of such an all-star honor. The votes were tabulated in the infamous Crimson Sports Cube, and with the aid of the staff two teams of five writers each, five honorable mentions, and a few special awards have been named:

Ira Rosen of the Cornell Daily Sun topped the voting for the first team for his expose of the coaching and recruiting practices of the Cornell basketball team. Buzzy Bissenger, sports editor of the Daily Pennsylvanian, was cited for his coverage of football and hockey.

Art Beaver, sports editor of The Dartmouth, was named to the first team for his humility. Crimson sports editors Bill Stedman and Peter Landry round out the first team selections.

Stedman has received attention for his extensive coverage of Harvard's Ivy championship hockey team, and his ECAC Quarterfinal prediction of RPI over New Hampshire in overtime.

Landry is credited with writing the best fencing stories in the Ivies. An especially memorable series of stories was Landry's on-the-spot coverage of the after-hours activities of the Harvard fencing team as they competed in the 1973 IFA championships in New York.

Rick Troncelliti and Mark Mullen head the second team All-Ivy squad. Troncelliti, sports editor of the Brown Daily Herald, described the soccer and hockey woes of the Bruins this year. Mullen, a jack of all trades, consistently filled much of the sports page for The Dartmouth.

Reuben Holden of Yale was named on more than one ballot and thus gets the token Daily spot.

Jim Reining and Claude Goldenburg wrap up the All-Ivy teams. Reinig, sometimes known as "Jiminy the Greek," is noted for the spectacularly accurate predictions in his column in The Crimson as well as his baseball coverage. Goldenburg was named for his accounts of the Princeton co-champion squash team.

Five more people were too good to be left unnoticed, so we will mention them honorably. John Wilheim, Daily Princetonian sports editor, was cited for his work on football and hockey as was Bill Howard of Cornell, who wrote about the same sports as Wilheim.

Jim Cramer of Harvard, who without a doubt has the best column title in the Ivies ("Creme de la Cramer"), is also lauded for the content of those columns.

Howie Blatt of the Columbia Daily Spectator needs to be mentioned and so does Dennis Corbett of the Crimson. Corbett's coverage of Harvard's championship swim team is still causing waves in the aqua-world.

Three special awards were added to the All-Ivy list this year. Betsy Eggert and Debbie Cohen were named to receive the Bobby Riggs Award for excellence in sports among women. Eggert, of The Crimson, won the Riggs Award for her tennis and hockey coverage and Cohen from Yale was named also on the basis of her hockey coverage, as well as her football coverage.

The first recipients of the Bob Harrison Memorial Basketball Trophy were Crimson writers Bob Garrett and Jeff Flanders. They won the title for their colorful, if bizarre, reporting of Harvard basketball.

And the Eager Beaver Award for sending the most number of people to cover a single sporting event (14) and general sports writing excellence goes to the entire enthusiastic Daily Pennsylvanian sports staff.