Hirshman to Leave Economics Faculty For Study Institute

Albert O. Hirshman, Littauer Professor of Political Economy, will leave Harvard next year to become a member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, N.J.

Hirshman, an expert on Latin American development, yesterday described the offer to join the study center as "an exceptional opportunity for doing research and concentrating on my scholarly activities with less pressure and no diversion."

Hesitated

"I hesitated for a long time, but at my age [59], the Institute offered me the style of life best suited to my wishes," he said. "Salary was no an issue. I made my decision completely independent of the policy of the Economics Department."

James S. Duesenberry, chairman of the Economics Department, said yesterday the department will sorely miss Hirshman. "We're all very sorry he decided to retire to a monastery," he added.

'A Little Short'

Duesenberry said he had no idea how Hirshman's chair would be filled, and that his departure leaves the Economics Department "a little short" in the areas of development and Latin American affairs.