Crimson Golfers Open Season With a Pair of Close Victories

The Harvard varsity golf team got into the swing of things yesterday, as it recorded its first victories of the season over Amherst and Tufts in match play at the Stow Acres Country Club in Stow.

The Crimson linksmen bested its two opponents by 5 1/2 to 1 1/2 margins.

Traditionally, Tufts has always, arranged to face Harvard in match, as opposed to meadow play, in hopes of a victory. Even this season, with the Jumbos fielding one of its strongest teams in a long while, Harvard could not be bested.

"Tufts was surprisingly tough," co-captain and winner of both his matches at number one, Art Burke, said yesterday. "They really hung in there. We won a lot of our points on the last hole."

Quinn Smith, playing at number two, was one of the players to pull it out on the eighteenth, as his birdie beat Amherst and halved with Tufts. Gilmer Yellen also birdied the final hole to win both ways at number four. Steve McConnell at three was the only golfer to drop both matches.

Jonathan Mark picked up a pair of wins at number five as did Bill Gray at seven. Chip Ricketts at six halved both his matches.