UMass Stickmen Trounce Crimson, 9-4

By Philip Weiss

Like adolescents with the family jewels, the Crimson stickmen squandered all their scoring power in the early going at UMass yesterday and ended up dropping a 9-4 lacrosse decision.

The varsity was behind, 2-0, going into the second quarter before the attack started to make the contest exciting. Sophomore Kevin McCall dented the strings for three goals in the period, and crease-mate Jim Quinn added three points with two assists and a goal, as the Crimson ended the half with a 5-4 deficit.

But that was all she wrote. The Minutemen played their own version of the old Indian game in the second half, coming up with four tallies to win easily, 9-4.

UMass attackman Zack McVea personally outdid the Crimson with a four-goal four-assist effort.

The teams were fairly even in penalties, face-offs, clears, and ground balls. In the Harvard net, Baltimorean Leroy Thompson played a scrappy game with 19 saves.

An observer called the tilt "a good game--but UMass had more game experience."

The freshman ten showed up their elders yesterday by ambushing the J.V. Minutemen, 11-3. The Crimson played pattycake with the ball for 12 minutes before taking a 1-0 bulge into the second quarter. The score was 3-1 at the half.

The freshmen got four goals in both the third and fourth frames to emerge victorious.

Yardling attackman Bill MacKenzie, with three goals and two assists, and midfielder Gordon Clemson, with two goals and one feed, spearheaded the squad.

Strong Defense

The difference between the two teams was the ability of the Harvard defensive centurions to cripple the Minuteman scoring threats with peerless clears. The defense was not foiled in clearing attempts over the entire second half.

The next dual contest is this Saturday, on home turf, against Cornell. The Big Red are a perennial Ivy power and a national championship threat. The Crimson varsity now sports an 0-2 record, including an 0-1 mark in the Ivies.