A Second Lease On Life?

CULTURAL CENTER

The uncertain fortunes of the Harvard-Radcliffe Afro-American Cultural Center took an upward turn this week after the University proposed a new site and additional financial assistance for the beleaguered student center.

A week ago, the likelihood that the cultural center would have to close down or severely curtail its operations was the cause of great dismay among members of the center's executive board. It now appears, however, that the center is assured it will be able to maintain a meeting place at least for the coming year. Whether the center will have the economic wherewithal to continue its present staff and range of programs remains an open question.

Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, is currently handling the University's effort on the center's behalf. Hall has recommended that the center move its quarters from 20 Sacramento St. to a new location at 16-18 Eliot St. in Brattle Square. Harvard does not own the Eliot St. location, but has an option to rent it at an estimated annual cost of $20,000. The cultural center would then sublet the building from the University.

Hall has assured the center's directors that Harvard would help finance the move and the new rental expenses, Derrick A. Bell Jr., professor of Law and a cultural center trustee, said Wednesday.

The Afro center has been vying with the Hillel Society for rights to locate in a University-owned building at 74 Mt. Auburn St. A decision on the Mt. Auburn building has not yet been officially announced, but it is expected that Hillel will move into the old Sanctuary headquarters next fall.

Bell said also that the center's board will approve a request for the University to provide further loans to the center, adding that new fundraising efforts will eventually enable the center to repay the $30,000 loan it currently needs.

The University, which had come in for some criticism over its response to the center's financial distress, was defended by Bell, who said, "It's not fair to say that the University hasn't been helpful."