Heavyweight Crew Challenges Brown for Stein Cup

The 1974 edition of the Harvard varsity heavyweight crew unveils itself today in a Stein Cup race against Brown on the Seekonk River in Providence. The Crimson will be shooting to retain the cup for the tenth consecutive year. Harvard has never lost the cup.

The Crimson varsity shell is still an unknown quantity. Coach Harry Parker, after five weeks of intensive seat-racing, only boated the crew this past Thursday.

Parker said, "I really don't know how the boat will do. It's been running all right, but you just can't tell until you've had a race."

Brown Injuries

Brown is also a crew that no one is really sure about. The Bruins, after a close win over Boston University in which the Bruins edged past the BU Terriers by a scant one second, will have a patched-up lineup because of injuries and illnesses.

Harvard has six lettermen returning from last year's varsity eight. The six are coxswain David Weinberg, Al Shealy at stroke, Steve Rowe at seven, Dick Cashin at six, Captain Dave Fellows at five, and Ed Woodhouse in the number three seat. The newcomers are Tiff Wood at the four spot, Blair Brooks at bow, and Ollie Scholle, the only sophomore to make the varsity squad at two.

Parker said, "Brown has a lot of people hurt, but it will still be a tough race. However, I think we ought to be able to pull it out."

The race will get off today at the unusually late time of 6:30. The junior varsity will precede the varsity at 5:30.