Thinclads Smoke Drenched Elis, 104-40

By James Cramer

At first it looked like Yale couldn't run well in the rain. But when the downpour let up, the Elis were still running as poorly as before. Clearly, the rain was no excuse for Yale's 104-40 drubbing yesterday at the feet of the Crimson.

Harvard made short work of the Yale field delegation, cornering 52 out of a possible 62 points. Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace dominated the Crimson attack, taking first in the long jump and just missing the Harvard home field record in winning the triple jump. These two stellar feats netted him "Outstanding Player of the Yale-Harvard Meet," an award given annually to the most valuable trackman of either team.

"I was pleased with the award, but not my performance," a modest Vanderpool-Wallace said after the meet.

It was the same old story in the high jump with Mel Embree moving into first position and John McCulloh picking up three second place points. Kevin McCafferty and Jay Hughes monopolized the shot put competion en route to eight points for the Crimson.

In other field event action Adrian Tew and freshman Tom Lincoln racked up first and second in the javelin competition. Steve Niemi and Hughes routinely polished off what was thought to be a strong Eli hammer line-up, notching another eight points for Harvard. Steve Haynes surpassed teammate Blayne Heckel in the pole vault, providing the proverbial icing on the field event cake.

Harvard's running thinclads had little trouble outnavigating their Ivy rivals through the four-inch puddles in the first lane. Crimson quarter miler Nick Leone proved to be Harvard's finest swimmer, negotiating the rain-soaked course in 49.7. Harvard's Joel Peters came in a strong second behind captain Leone.

The versatile Bill Okerman and freshman stalwart Jeff Campbell teamed up for a winning one-two combination in the mile, with Okerman breaking a soggy tape at 4:23.8.

High Hurdles

Harvard half-miler Jim Springate chipped in with five points, diving in at 1.57.4 in the 880, and Richard Anderson and Timothy Cranston picked up second and third in the high hurdles.

The meet was safely out of reach before the mile relay team hit the track, but the Crimson quarter men, Sam Butler, Stuart Kuschner, Randy Buckley and Joel Peters, teamed up for a fast relay, with Butler setting a quick pace, coming through in a sub-50-second opening split.

An elated Coach Edgar Stowell said that he was "very pleased with the fine effort" against the 1-4 Elis. "All I can say is we beat a weak Yale club."

The competion should stiffen a bit tomorrow when the Crimson shirks its Ivy League opponents and runs in the Greater Boston Championships. Northeastern and Boston College appear to be the teams most likely to challenge Crimson city supremacy. After the Boston contest, several Crimson thinclads will journey to Philadelphia Friday to vie in the annual Penn Relays Carnival.