Groups to Discuss Nixon's Removal At Town Meeting

By Walter N. Rothschild iii

A coalition of groups favoring the impeachment of President Nixon will hold a "town meeting" tonight at MIT at which the public will be asked to present its own evidence on why Nixon should be removed from office.

Organizers of the meeting plan to make a tape of the proceedings "without any gaps or hums" to send to the House Judiciary Committee, the coalition's promotional leaflet states. Thousands of these leaflets have been distributed in the Boston area, David Ozonoff, a spokesman for the MIT. Peace Coalition, said yesterday.

The MIT group is co-sponsoring the meeting with the New England Committee on Impeachment Action, a coalition of organizations working for Nixon's im- peachment. The groups include Americans for Democratic Action, The Indochina Peace Campaign and the American Civil Liberties Union.

Speakers at the meeting will include George Wald, professor of Biology.

The organizers are "optimistic" that they will fill Kresge Auditorium--which seats 1200 people--for the event, beginning at 8:30 p.m. tonight, Ozonoff said.

"Impeachment isn't a remedy for aggression abroad and oppression at home, but even as arresting a criminal is not a means of ending crime, there are times when a man must be held accountable," Ozonoff said.

He added that the MIT peace group has "tried to hold Nixon accountable for his actions for many years" and the group's advocacy of impeachment is just a continuation of that effort