Track Juggernaut Humiliates 'Strong'

By James Cramer

Although it took three dual meets to do it, Coach Edgar Stowell's thinclads have finally perfected the art of the romp. They had good practice drubbing the Tigers and the Elis last week, but with their 103-50 victory over the Big Green yesterday at Soldiers Field, the thinclads must be considered the master of the shellacking.

Even though the Crimson has been performing like some sort of pro track juggernaut, neither the 100 fans nor Stowell foresaw the humiliating defeat of what looked like a strong Dartmouth squad. "Going in we thought it was looking like a pretty tough meet," a surprised Stowell said after the win. "But as the score indicates, it really wasn't."

Press the Button

The Crimson squad can easily be likened to some sort of sophisticated computer system. Stowell only needs to punch in the name of Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace and out come ten points in the long jump and triple jump. He presses another button and Sam Butler places first in the high and 440 yard hurdles. A third selection and Jay Hughes takes the hammer throw and shot put.

But besides the usual winners. Harvard came up with a few unscheduled victories. An excited Jimmy Keefe charged past Dartmouth's Chris Peisch in the last 100 yards to capture first place in the 3 mile, and Freddy Linsk held on to Keefe's coattails to finish a strong third in the same race.

A rapidly improving Bill Okerman burned to a 1:53 half-mile with crowd favorite Jerry Hines notching a close second. And the long-awaited appearance of injured freshman Steve Brown contributed to a blazing 3:16 in the winning mile-relay.

Jimmy Springate, the consistent sophomore miler, hit 4:14.6 to win the event with Jeff Campbell running a tenth of a second off the pace for number two honors.

But the key man in yesterday's performance had to be captain Nick Leone. The team's number one quarter-man, Leone was all alone for all 400 yards of his quarter mile race today, and then came back to anchor the successful mile relay team that should cause some commotion at next week's Heptagonal championships in Philadelphia.

The other quarter-man in the Crimson's 440 duet, Joel Peters, put on a show for the home crowd, passing Dartmouth's Joe Durham at the homestretch in the quarter for second place, and them coming back to run a strong 48.8 third leg in the mile relay.

Thinclad notes: Mel Embree placed first in the high jump with a 6 ft. 10 1/4 in. leap, setting a new Soldiers Field record. Kevin McCafferty, Ahmed Kayali, and John McCulloh took seconds in the shot put, triple jump, and high jump. Dartmouth's Mark Collins threw the javellin 229 ft. 8 in. to snap Adrian Tew's old Soldiers Field mark. Blayne Heckel vaulted only 14 ft. 6 in. but took first place in the pole competition.