Netmen Romp in Tourney; Golfers Fall Short

Harvard's country club" sports, golf and tennis, had a weekend of mixed results as the racquetmen thoroughly dominated the New England Intercollegiate Tennis Championships at Dartmouth, while the linksmen ended a 12-3 season on a disappointing note, losing to Princeton and Yale in New Jersey.

The Crimson tennis squad romped over the opposition in Hanover, with eight of nine possible entries making the finals. Harvard racked up a 20-point edge over runner-up Brown as the squad tuned up for a tough season finale against Princeton this Saturday.

"We're hoping to take a good crack at them," coach Jack Barnaby said of the Tigers. "We can drop them into a tie for first with Penn and we'd share third with Columbia with a win Saturday. This New England tourney was a great tune-up for us."

Harvard placed men in five of the possible six singles spots. Number two man John Ingard edged teammate and number one player Ken Lindner, 4-6, 6-1, 7-5, to cop the A division crown. In sweeping the three divisions, Gary Reiner took the B competition, while John Horn edged teammate Hugh Hyde for the C title.

In doubles play, Lindner and Gardy Rowbotham teamed for the A honors, while Ingard and Horn combined for B laurels. The only loss of the tourney came in the C division finals as Reiner and Chip Baird dropped the finale to Brown.

Meanwhile, out on the golf course, the Harvard linksmen could manage only a 386 total, as the squad went down to defeat at the hands of Princeton (369) and Yale (381). The loss came just on the heels of a Harvard five-man record score of 367 at Dartmouth last Tuesday.

Team captain Art Burke, who was low for the team shooting a 69 in the record performance, could not duplicate his feat against the Elis and Tigers. Quin Smith, who chipped in a 75 at Dartmouth, was low man last weekend, firing a 74.

Other scores in the record-breaker were Bob Thompson with a 73, Tom Yellin 74, and Steve McConnell shooting a 76.