Heavyweights Meet Yale on Charles; 96-Year New London Tradition Ends

By Bruns H. Grayson

Harvard's heavyweight crew meets Yale tomorrow on the Charles in a race marking an end to 96 years of racing in New London.

Only four times since 1878 has the race not been run on the Thames River; the last time it was on the Charles was in 1946.

The race, then, is something of an historic occasion, but it's doubtful that it will be exciting enough to fit the moment.

Harvard is sending its fastest boat of the last ten years to row against the weakest Yale boat of the last five years--which is really saying something, considering how bad the Elis have been over the last five years or so.

The Crimson should win the three-mile race by more than ten lengths, which would be its 12th consecutive victory. Harvard leads the series, 61-47.

Coach Harry Parker's oarsmen will continue rowing after the Yale race, however, in order to prepare for a race sponsored by the University of Washington in late June. Washington has invited the top college crews in the country to compete in Seattle.

So Parker is packing his boys up immediately after the last final exam and heading up to Hanover, New Hampshire for a two-week training session free of urban distractions.