Netmen Meet Tigers Saturday

By Elizabeth P. Eggert

Harvard's varsity tennis team will finally test its true strength this Saturday when the squad faces rival Princeton on its home courts at 2 p.m. in the last contest of the season.

The Tigers, along with Columbia and Pennsylvania, perenially offer the toughest competition in the Ivy and EITA leagues. Harvard, playing without top man Ken Lindner, dropped its matches to the Lions and Quakers earlier this year, and this weekend, with everyone healthy, the team will seek to show its full-strength potential.

The Princeton match should be the best of the season. The Tigers, who face Dartmouth today, currently stand 11-0 overall and 7-0 in the EITA league. They have won 21 consecutive dual meets, including victories over North Carolina, Penn, Columbia and Penn State, and a weekend sweep would give them sole possession of the Ivy and EITA crowns.

A Crimson victory could drop Princeton into a tie for first place with Penn and possibly give Harvard a third-place tie with Columbia in EITA standings. The Crimson netmen are currently 12-4 overall, 6-2 in the EITA, and 4-2 in the Ivy League.

"We don't care about the standing, though," John Ingard said yesterday. "We just want to beat Princeton--we see the match as a chance to prove ourselves when we're healthy and redeem the season, and we think we have a good chance to win."

The Tigers boast an awesome veteran lineup headed by senior Dean Colson from Coral Gables, Fla. Colson has won 9 of 11 matches this season, while second singles man Bill Dutton from Oak Park, Ill., has earned a 10-1 record.