Law School Panel to Commemorate '54 Court Decision on Desegregation

By Mark W. Lomax

A symposium on issues relating to school desegregation will be held at the Law School tomorrow and Thursday to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the case of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas.

In the decision, the court ruled that "in the field of public education the doctrine of 'separate but equal' has no place. Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal."

The symposium, jointly sponsored by the Law School and the Harvard Black Law Students Association, begins tomorrow at 8 p.m. in Austin Hall when J. Skelly Wright of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia will discuss "Perspectives on Brown: Start of the Egalitarian Revolution."

In two Thursday sessions a group of panelists will assess the accomplishments and shortcomings of the egalitarian revolution and consider future courses of action. The two sessions will be held at 9:45 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

The participants will include psychologist Kenneth B. Clark; Martin L. Kilson, professor of Government; Derrick A. Bell Jr., professor of Law; and Walter J. Leonard, special assistant to the President.