Flyers Take Cup; Defeat Bruins, 1-0

The tough, young Philadelphia Flyers, with Rick MacLeish scoring the only goal of the game, beat the Boston Bruins yesterday and became the first expansion team to win the National Hockey League's storied Stanley Cup.

A sellout crowd of 17,007 rocked the Spectrum with cheers as the Flyers closed out the Bruins on national television, winning the best-of-seven series 4-2 for hockey's biggest prize.

Bernie Parent, the Flyers' superb goaltender, who tied for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top netminder during the regular season, posted his second playoff shutout.

Power-Play Goal

The Flyers scored the winning goal on a power play at 14:48 of the opening period.

On a faceoff in the Boston zone, MacLeish snatched the puck from Greg Sheppard and poked it to Andre Dupont just inside the Boston blue line. Dupont got off a drive that glanced off MacLeish's stick and hopped over the stick of Boston goalie Gilles Gilbert into the net.

The game came down to a battle of goaltenders. Both Parent and Gilbert made numerous outstanding saves, but Gilbert was beaten once while Parent was perfect.

The Bruins got 30 shots against Parent while the Flyers tested Gilbert on 26.