Gordon to Direct New Institute Here For Poor Nations

Economic specialist Lester E. Gordon has been named by President Bok to direct the University's new Institute for International Development, beginning June 1.

Gordon, who is now director of the Development Advisory Service of the Harvard Center for International Affairs, will supervise the work of 16 Institute Fellows in research dealing with the problems of underdeveloped countries.

President Bok said earlier this week that the newly-created institute "should be of substantial help" in encouraging interdisciplinary work in the University concerning international development.

He cited a "declining interest" in the problems of poor nations in both government and academic circles.

"For this reason, it is especially important that the University take initiative in expanding its resources for help abroad," Bok said.

The institute is expected to undertake service, research and training abroad, to assist Harvard faculty and students in research projects and to conduct short-term courses and workshops for residents of underdeveloped countries.

Bok said he hopes the institute will also serve as a center of professional advice and support for Harvard students from Asia, Africa and Latin America.

The new director, Gordon, has an extensive background in governmental service and with the United Nations. He is now a lecturer on Economics. Gordon could not be reached for comment last night.