Brown Ruggers Steal Honors In B-School 7-a-Side Tourney

By David A. Copithorne

The Brown rugby club took top honors in the Business School's annual Seven-A-Side Rugby Tournament yesterday after walking over all five of its opponents.

In the grueling final, the Brown ruggers held a tired Harvard Business School seven to a single try and put three on the board for themselves to cop an impressive 16-6 win.

The B-schoolers had to gather their strength for the final in a short, 15-minute rest after an exciting overtime win in their semifinal game with Charles River.

Crimson backs Mike Palone and Chris Reilly put together the most impressive plays of the afternoon but were checked by the same aggressive defense that led the Brown 15 to the Ivy League title two weeks ago.

The Harvard College ruggers failed to enter a side in the 26-team tournament because it conflicted with the annual Charles River Cup game against Dartmouth at Weston.

Harvard went into the game riding high after last Wednesday's upset win over a tough New Brunswick team but came out on the losing end of a hard-fought, 6-0 contest.

The Crimson now sports a 5-4 record.