Bok Names 2 1/2 Housemasters

By Seth M. Kupferberg

President Bok extended his brand of mastery to two and half Houses this year, and with Currier co-Masters Ursula Goodenough and Paul Levine scheduled to retire this year, by next year only four active Masters--Kenneth R. Andrews in Leverett, Charles W. Dunn in Quincy, Alan Heimert '49 in Eliot and Zeph Stewart in Lowell--will be holdovers appointed by Nathan M. Pusey '28.

The half a House in that lead sentence is Mather. F. Skiddy von Stade '38, dean of freshmen and the House's Master, will be on sabbatical next year, and Dr. Warren E.C. Wacker, head of the University Health Services, will be serving in his stead.

Some Kirkland House sources speculated early this spring that Wacker might be a possible replacement for Arthur Smithies, whose tenure as Master--if not his position as the most dedicated oarsman on Harvard's faculty--came to an end with his retirement as Ropes Professor of Political Economy this spring. But Bok lighted on Evan Z. Vogt, professor of Anthropology. And as Co-Masters of Winthrop, where Bruce Chalmers, McKay Professor of Metallurgy, also retired, Bok picked William R. Hutchison, Warren Professor of the History of Religion in America, and his wife.