Besserman Named English Head Tutor

By Margaret A. Shapiro

Lawrence L. Besserman '68, assistant professor of English, will become the new head tutor of the English Department next year, replacing the current head tutor, R. Brooke Hopkins III '64.

Besserman, the head sectionman of English 10, "The Tradition of English Literature," has taken the job for at least one year, Alan E. Heimert '49, chairman of the English Department, said yesterday, adding he "hoped it would not be just a one-year job."

Hopkins could not be reached last night but Heimert said he will not remain as head tutor because he has a summer fellowship and wants to complete a book he is currently working on.

A specialist on Medieval English Literature, Besserman said as head tutor he will be in charge of the English department's tutorial program in addition to teaching English 101, "The History of the English Language," and tutoring in both the English and History and Literature departments.

He said he will run the "day-to-day affairs of the tutorial program and be a sort of staff overseer," but that he would not be concerned with making any changes in the program.