Boston UFW Leaders Predict Chavez Will Aid GAIU Pickets

Cesar Chavez, director of the United Farm Workers Union (UFW), may picket with striking Harvard printers during his visit to Boston next week, local UFW leaders who are organizing Chavez's trip said yesterday.

Chavez will be in Boston for three days beginning August 2 as part of a nine-day tour of New England. During his trip he will also lead a demonstration in support of UFW's boycott of A&P Food Stores and attend a benefit dinner with United Mine Workers President Arnold Miller at Boston College.

Negotiators for the University and the Graphic Arts International Union, representing the printers and typesetters, will meet in Boston today in their sixth bargaining session since the strike began in April.

Chavez was unavailable for comment yesterday, but UFW sources said that his appearance on the printer's picket line would not be unusual.

"Nothing has been firmed up yet, but Chavez will probably speak and picket with them," one source said. "It's a common thing. Usually when he goes to an area and there is a labor strike on, he stops off and shows support."

James J. Norton, international representative for the GAIU, said last night that he has not heard of any plans by Chavez to visit the printers' picket line in Forbes Plaza.