Stanford Economics Professor to Fill Tenured Post at Government School

By Beth Stephens

Alan S. Manne, professor of Economics and Operations Research at Stanford University, will become a professor of Political Economy at the Kennedy School of Government this fall, the Kennedy School announced this week.

The school also announced the appointment of Lawrence E. Lynn Jr., a senior research associate at the Brookings Institution, as professor of Public Policy.

Manne will coordinate interdisciplinary research on long-term energy policy with the Department of Engineering and Applied Physics and other Harvard divisions.

Manne's position is funded by a grant from International Business Machines (IBM) for teaching and research on technology and society. A parallel professorship, also funded by the IBM grant, will be formed in the Engineering Department.

"We're talking to all sorts of people," Manne said yesterday. "Energy is the sort of subject that cuts across traditional disciplinary lines."

Lynn said yesterday that he will concentrate on organizing policy research, coordinating the work of students and faculty in different schools of the University.

"I'm more problem-oriented than discipline-oriented," he said. Lynn added that he plans to deal with current policy issues.

Lynn's appointment does not become effective until next January.