School Committee Allows Counselors To Counter Military

By Philip Drysdale

The Cambridge School Committee voted last week to allow counselors to appear in Cambridge schools along with military recruiters in order to counter statements that may be false or misleading.

Under the school committee's resolution, which went into effect yesterday, school administrators cannot bar such counselors from their schools.

The Committee for Military Justice, a group of Harvard law students, drew up the resolution.

Cyril D. Murphy, a second-year law student and member of the committee, said yesterday the committee will try to send counselors to all Cambridge schools when the military recruiters appear.

'A Positive Image'

"Patriotism, the uniform, the prospect of going overseas, and the media all lead to a positive image for the military," Murphy said. "We just want people to know what they are getting into."

Chief Petty Officer Gary Fullerton, who works in the Cambridge naval recruiting office, said yesterday, "We are willing to work with the school and the students. We don't intend to misinform, and we're more than happy to stand corrected." Fullerton said the resolution "is as fair an agreement as could be."

"We don't encourage our recruiters to lie," Fullerton said. "In fact, honesty is one of our prime concerns. Like any organization, the Navy gets its share of the bad and the good. Some of our recruiters have lied, but we've gotten rid of them."

"We want people who will present the Navy in the best possible light," he said. "People who will speak honestly, and tell it like it is."