Life Went On Without You

Rosenkrantz And Graham Take Their Posts

One of President Bok's first actions after students left Cambridge for the summer was to appoint new masters for Currier House. Barbara G. Rosenkrantz, associate professor of the History of Science, is now master, and her husband Paul Rosenkrantz, a Boston psychologist unaffiliated with Harvard, is co-master.

Bok made the appointment after a three-month search conducted with considerable help form the Currier House Masters Selection Committee last spring. The Rosenkrantz's, who were one of the committee's two final choices, replace co-masters Ursula Goodenough and Paul Levine, who announced their resignation March 5 last year.

President Horner concluded a two-year search in early July, and named Patricia Albjers Graham, a professor of History and Education at Columbia's Teachers' College, as her choice for director of the Radcliffe Institute.

Graham, who will also have a tenured professorship at the Graduate School of Education, was one of 138 applicants for the position. The Institute is one of Radcliffe's nine major departments and uses one-third of Radcliffe's budget.

First Grapes, Then Lettuce, Now Gallo

By the end of the summer, there were no more UFW picketers outside A&P stores in the Boston area, and at least two of its branches in Cambridge were selling iceberg lettuce with the United Farmworkers seal on it. There was no formal agreement between A&P and the UFW, unlike its arrangements with Boston's four other major food chains, but UFW supporters regarded the outcome of their 15-month boycott of A&P as a victory.

UFW activity in the area has by no means ceased however. It has now shifted its emphasis to stopping sales of Gallo wine. Seven major liquor store chains in the area have agreed to UFW demands; the UFW is now negotiating with an eighth, Cappy's. Cesar Chavez, in Boston for a weekend in early August, marked the beginning of the new campaign by appearing at a UFW demonstration on August 3 in front of the Avenue Liquor Mart store at the Fresh Pond Shopping Center.

On the Library, Another Side Is Heard From

It became increasingly clear this summer that Harvard will not present a united front to the world on the question of the construction of the proposed John F. Kennedy Memorial Library. In the first organized expression of the opinion of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences on the matter, 40 of its members sent a letter to President Bok in early July objecting to the effect the library will have on the Square.

The letter, organized by Adam B. Ulam, professor of Government, was similar to one that four law professors supported by over half of the Law School faculty sent Bok in January.

Cyprus Sends Ripples Through Boston Area

The troubles on Cyprus this summer sent ripples towards Boston and even Harvard. Greek Americans in Boston demonstrated and picketed against the Turks and two archaeological expeditions which included some Harvard students fled the island after the Turkish invasion on July 20.

Demonstrations by Greek-Americans in the area became more organized and more virulent as the summer and the action on Cyprus progressed. They began even before the invasion with a July 15 picket line outside the Greek Consulate in Boston to protest the coup that overthrew Cypriot President Archbishop Makarios. At the most recent event, which took place at City Hall on August 13, a crowd of four thousand tore up a Turkish flag to protest the invasion and called for an end to U.S. military and economic aid to Turkey.

Cambridge, too, witnessed one of these protests when 1500 Greek-Americans marched from Central to Harvard Square on July 21.

Harvard students on the expeditions in Cyprus when fighting broke out had some close shaves. One of the groups escaped to a British military base on the island and were evacuated to Beirut, Lebanon two days after the invasion. The other group left the island only after the 25 students on the dig spent two days in hiding.

This summer was brought to you on pages 33 and 40 by Jenny Netzer.

A Moratorium On Transfers Comes to an End

The Houses are likely to be overcrowded for quite a while, but Harvard apparently feels that the situation has improved enough over last year to resume the admission of transfer students.

A minimum of 15 transfers will be admitted to Harvard College for the academic year 1975-1976, the Admissions Office announced in late August. The year-long moratorium was an attempt to reduce over-crowding caused by an increase of 300 undergraduates in 1971 designed to achieve a 2.5:1 sex ratio.

Radcliffe did not stop admitting transfers, but only five of the 20 admitted for this year will live on campus, and next year's level will depend on House space, Alberta Arthurs, dean of admissions, financial aid and women's education at Radcliffe, said last month.

Another factor besides decreased overcrowding may have been important in Harvard's decision to resume the transfer program: the Office of Women's Education at Radcliffe and the Harvard Admissions Office last year prepared parallel studies which affirmed the Admissions Committees' prior assumptions about contributions previous transfer students have made to the undergraduate student body.

Push Comes To Shove At the Fogg

Two people resigned from University administrative positions over the summer, but apparently did so far very different reasons.

The University announced in mid-August that Daniel J. Robbins, lecturer on Fine Arts, will resign from his post as director of the Fogg Art Museum this month. There were strong indications that Robbins's decision to give up the position he has held for the past three years was prompted by conflicts between him and some members of the Fine Arts Department and the central administration.

Although John M. Rosenfield, chairman of the department, denied that Robbins resigned because of any such conflicts, a source familiar with department and museum politics, said that several faculty members resented changes Robbins had made in the Fogg with the department's approval. The source also said that some members of the department had disapproved of Robbin's attempts to modernize the collection of the Busch-Reisinger Museum, and that this had led directly to Robbins's resignation. Robbins will be on a leave of absence this year and indications are that he may not return to Harvard next year.

The other resignation this summer was less mysterious and less stormy. Anne L. Peretz gave up her position as co-master of South House in early July because she felt she did not have the time to do the job adequately, and because she did not enjoy the meetings and the paperwork that the job entailed.

Her resignation apparently will not change much in South House. Martin H. Peretz, her husband, will still be master, and he said that his wife's resignation does not put an unmanageable burden on him.

Day in Court

For a short while in July it looked as though Alan Dershowitz, professor of Law and an active practicing attorney, was going to have some legal troubles of his own. A federal district court judge in New York threatened the Harvard-based civil liberties lawyer with disciplinary hearings after Dershowitz charged publicly that a U.S. attorney "deliberately" withheld evidence from the Supreme Court.

Dershowitz was in New York representing Edmund A. Rosner, who was seeking a new trial on a 1972 conviction for bribing a policeman. The police officer--whose testimony provided the prosecution with the substance of its case against Rosner--later admitted he perjured himself while first giving his damaging testimony.

Evidence surfaced that the U.S. attorney learned of the perjury several days before an appeal of the case went to the Supreme Court, but did not inform the justices of it. Dershowitz claimed the prosecution's omission was made intentionally as part of a "coverup." The judge, who had previously worked in the U.S. attorney's office, told Dershowitz he might institute the disciplinary proceedings if the "deadly serious charge" was not proved.

Although Dershowitz substantially demonstrated the accuracy of his claim, it was not on that basis that the judge removed his threat. At a special session in the judge's chambers--at which Dershowitz was represented by Hofstra Law School Dean Monroe H. Freedman--the law professor convinced the judge he did not mean to suggest that the U.S. attorney had "evil intent."

After the judge retracted his threat, a triumphant Dershowitz said, "I have been vindicated." Dershowitz received further vindication when a Bar Association attorney announced the legal group would institute an investigation of the U.S. attorney's office.