Crimson Prepares for Opener; Restic Says Progress Is Slow

The injury to Pete Curtin is not the only thing wrong with the Harvard football squad, now in its third week of practice. Head coach Joe Restic termed the scrimmage with Brown on Saturday as "fair."

"We need a lot of work before we open the season next week," Restic said. "Our timing, hitting, and player responsibility have to be improved."

Restic wasn't exactly enthralled with the offensive performance of his team Saturday, particularly the passing attack. "Our passing game needs to be sharpened," Restic said.

Quarterback Milt Holt's passing holds they key to the Crimson attack this season. Although a better runner than his predecessor, All-Ivy Jim Stoeckel, Holt isn't quite the calibre passer that Stoeckel was. However, Holt is a better than average thrower and Restic is confident that the senior passer will do the job.

"With a couple of more weeks practice, Milt should be OK," Restic said.

Restic was pleased, however, with the performance of his defensive unit, which is particularly encouraging since it is the graduation-depleted defense that holds the key to Harvard's quest for the Ivy title.

"I would say that right now the defense is ahead of the offense," Restic said.

"We had a good pass rush," he said, "but there wasn't enough playing time for us to decide who'll be the starters. It's still too early to tell."

Restic was also happy with the defensive secondary. He singled out veteran Joe Sciolla and newcomer Billy Emper as playing strong games.

The kicking situation is still up in the air. Restic is trying a lot of players in the attempt to fill the shoes of departed Harvard record-holder Bruce Tetirick. All-American split end Pat McInally, whose big foot handled the kickoff chores and long field goal attempts the last two seasons, seems to have the inside track. Bill Curry and halfback Alky Tsitsos also are in contention for the spot.

Rumors have circulated that the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League are in the market for a new head coach, and that Restic may have been approached, but the Crimson coach would only say, "I've made no decision so far. I'll start the season here and finish it here."