Sailor Squad Captures Trophy During Weekend Regatta Slate

By Peter J. Ferrara

The Harvard and Radcliffe sailing teams won some and lost some this weekend competing in regattas throughout New England.

The Harvard varsity squad sailed to a Lane trophy title racing against 13 schools at Tufts, Saturday. MIT led the ten-race regatta most of the way, but the Crimson rallied in the final two races to edge out Tech by one point. The sailers competed in larks, or small sloops.

Tim Black skippered one of the larks with Ogden Ross as his crew. Chris Hoering, skipper, and Steve Saudek, crew, manned the other boat.

Dashes to Third

The Harvard club also battled in the Dinghy Invitational on Saturday against 16 schools at MIT. The Crimson finished third with the University of Rhode Island capturing top meet honors and MIT notching second ribbons.

Tom Repps and David Poore manned one boat and John Ebel and Harold Ark commanded the other. They raced in Tech Dinghys.

The Radcliffe team also did combat Saturday winning the Widgeon regatta at Stonehill College in New Bedford. Marie Roehm, who was the low point skipper at the NCAA Women's National Championship in June, and Sarah Herrick commanded the squad's boat, taking three out of four races against five other schools.

The Harvard team finished second to MIT in competition at MIT for the Wood trophy for Tech Dinghys, Saturday. The Crimson raced in four divisions against the other four members of the NCAA Sailing Association--Brown, Dartmouth, MIT and Coast Guard.

Tim Black and Chris Hoering manned the boat in the A division, Tony Legget and Tom Repps in the B division, Ogden Ross and David Poore in the J.V. division, and Jim Hammit and Russell Long in the Freshman division.

Unexpected Loss

The Crimson was the defending titleholder of the Wood trophy and Harvard coach Mike Horn said last night he had thought the team had been strong enough to retain its title, even though their best sailor, Terry Neff, was on leave.

The Radcliffe team raced yesterday for the President's Trophy at Boston University. The 'Cliffe squad came in third in a six-team field with B.U. taking top laurels and Jackson College finishing second. Marie Roehm and Ruth Bandler raced one of the boats and Sarah Herrick and Becky Marr the other.