Grapplers Pin a 35-11 Loss on MIT

The Crimson wrestlers pinned three helpless Engineers to the mat last night in the IAB, on the way to dissecting MIT with great precision, 35-11.

Ty Richardson, wrestling at 134, Tim Corcoran at 158 and Bruce Johnson, weighing in at 167, all pinned their hapless MIT opponents. Richardson did the quickest work, dropping Jody Silver at 0:43, while Corcoran pinned John Thoere at 3:19 and Johnson flattened Peter Haag at 7:29.

The only disappointment for Harvard came in the 142 lb. class, where Steve Brown pinned captain Carl Biello at 4:50. Biello, who has missed a good deal of the season with a neck problem, wrestled what was probably his last match for Harvard.

"He wanted to wrestle a few since he's captain," coach John Lee said after the match, "But his neck is real bad. It's like trying to go out there with one arm."

Biello came back from nearly a year's absence last Saturday to beat his Dartmouth opponent by a superior decision, but he could not handle MIT's Brown, who appeared to be working on Biello's neck throughout the match.

Mitch Silverman was the only other loser for the Crimson, as Engineer Jack Mosinger handed him a 5-2 decision at 118 lbs. Kip Smith, wrestling unlimited, held off his gargantuan opponent Erlan Van Lithejude in the final match and pulled out a 0-0 tie.

Other winners were, Milt Yasunga at 126 (by default), Tom Bixby at 150 (9-2 decision) and Jim Strathmeyer at 177 (6-0 decision).

The meet served as a tune up for the big Ivy League clash with Princeton in the IAB on the 31st. Harvard, after drubbing Dartmouth last Saturday, is a serious contender for the Ivy title, and the Princeton meet will be crucial. Mike Dee is expected to be back from a knee injury sustained at Clarion, to wrestle at 142.

In JV action, Harvard blanked MIT, 28-0.