Geenty Again Continues Case, Reverses Ban on Note-Taking

Judge John C. Geenty continued the cases of Christopher S. Richardson '75 and six other students arrested last October during demonstrations at Boston University against Chile's military junta, at a brief hearing Monday in Roxbury District Court.

Geenty postponed the probable-cause hearing until March 7 because William P. Homans Jr. '41, counsel for Steven Kirsch, one of the defendants, is also chief defense counsel in the manslaughter trial of Dr. Kenneth Edelin and was at the Edelin trial on Monday.

The seven defendants in the B.U. case face charges ranging from disorderly conduct to assault with deadly weapons on police officers.

Last Thursday, Geenty informed a lawyer for The Crimson that he had decided to reverse his earlier ban on note-taking during the trial. Court officers forcibly removed a Crimson reporter from the courtroom on January 7, after warning him to put his notebook away.

Nathan Lewin, visiting professor of Law and an attorney for The Crimson, wrote to Geenty two weeks ago, telling him that The Crimson would take the case to Federal court if Geenty refused to change his ruling on note-taking.

The seven defendants were arrested when police broke up a demonstration against a B.U. center for Latin American Development Studies conference at which World Bank president Robert S. McNamara and former Chilean president Eduardo Frei were scheduled to appear