CHUL May Limit Union to Freshmen

Quad Residents May Be Denied Access

By Brian D. Young

F. Skiddy von Stade '37, dean of freshmen, will ask the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life today to consider proposals restricting the number of upperclassmen who can eat lunch at the Union to alleviate what he calls severe overcrowding at lunchtime.

Five river Houses have already instituted policies restricting interhouse eating at lunch and dinner. If the CHUL stops interhouse for Quad upperclassmen, which von Stade said yesterday was one of the options, they will have to go to Houses far from the Yard, or have a student from another House sign them in.

Cold Soup

Von Stade said the Union has increased the number of meals served by 50 per cent over the past two years. "We were running up to around 1200 meals on peak periods, but last week we went to 1800 for the first time," von Stade said. With a seating capacity of seven hundred at the Union, freshmen have been standing behind chairs waiting for seats, von Stade added.

Last Friday the Union began a policy of denying entrance to upperclassmen from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and from 12:45 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday.

Quincy House yesterday started limiting the dining hall to only House residents, staff, and their guests at all meals. The policy is meant to reduce the long lines that have been appearing at lunch and dinner, Robin Katcoff, the House secretary said yesterday.

Adams House and Lowell House will continue their long-standing policies limiting lunch to house residents Monday through Friday.

The Eliot Club

Eliot House has the most restrictive policy on interhouse, requiring guests to sign their name, bursars's card number, host's name, and their House affiliation.

The official policy at Winthrop House, the co-master said yesterday, is to allow Housemembers and guests, but dining hall checkers at Winthrop say that no such policy is enforced and that anyone in the University on board is admitted.

Dunster, Leverett, and Kirkland Houses report no overcrowding and do not intend to restrict interhouse in their dining halls.

Frank Weissbecker, director of Food Services, said yesterday the number of people on board was the same as last year, roughly 5600. He attributed the sharp increase in the number of Union meals to an increased number of Quad residents eating there.