Duehay Speaks at Faculty Club, Says City Needs 'Tolerance'

By Robert Lunbeck

"We need people in public office who understand and are tolerant of the diversity of the community in which they live," Cambridge City Councilor Francis Duehay '55 told a small group of Cambridge clergy and spouses at the Faculty Club yesterday.

Duehay, speaking on "themes which arise at campaign time," said Cambridge needs councilors who will "build bridges back and forth" between the city's neighborhoods and ethnic groups.

He aded that this is "particularly difficult" because of Cambridge's diversity and "lack of communication."

The absence in Cambridge of local radio and television and of a local daily newspaper underly the city's poor communication, Duehay said.

The city's subgroups "don't speak to each other, or know what is happening in Cambridge," he added.

Duehay also called for a restructuring of the position of city manager. The city manager presently serves at the direction of the City Council.

Effective local government "demands exquisite competence" in the city manager, Duehay said, but because of high turnover in the position, city managers "end up looking over their shoulders" as elections approach, reducing their effectiveness.

Duehay said hiring the city manager on a contract would be "a real help to stability in Cambridge city government."