Harvard Boots Wesleyan, 3-0, in Soccer Opener

By William E. Stedman jr.

George Ford is a coach of surprises. After surprising everyone with a team that finished second in the Ivies last year, Ford has come up with two freshman starters and a revamped line-up of veterans for the 1975 soccer season.

And the strategy worked, as Harvard shut out Wesleyan in the season opener yesterday, 3-0 on the Business School Field.

Musical chairs

The second-year coach moved co-captain Ralph Booth from fullback to right half, Mark Zimering from forward to center half, and turned Harold Martin into a fullback even though he had never played that position before. Ford then added freshman center Mat Bowyer, freshman right winger Dave Eaton and left winger Mike Lohrer to the forward line, threw in goalie Fred Herold and had himself a winning combination.

The only players back in last year's position were fullback and co-captain Geoff Hargadon, left half Chris Saunders and strikers Lyman Bullard and Dave Acorn.

With Acorn and Bullard, Ford didn't want to mess with a good thing, as the combo produced much of last year's offense. And he was right on that hunch too, as Acorn scored the only goal in the first half, and Bullard made it 2-0 midway through the second.

Acorn's tally came at 43:02 after he had failed to convert on numerous chances. "We played some good soccer and created some good scoring chances in the first half," Ford said, "But we blew 'em."

Wesleyan goaltender Dan Brugioni nearly stopped Acorn's last shot of the half, but the ball dribbled under his outstretched leg to give Harvardia 1-0 lead at the intermission.

Brugioni had no chance, however, on Bullard's goal at 27:24 of the second. Last season's top scorer rocketed a shot that Brugioni barely saw into the upper right corner from about 25 yards out.

Eric Zager iced the game with some fancy footwork and a hard, high shot for the final score at 38-21.

The Crimson defense, especially Herold in goal, did not face much pressure from the Cardinals. Wesleyan got off only two shots in the second half and Herold had to make a total of just six saves in the entire game.

Ford was pleased however with the play of halfback Zimering, who turned in an outstanding game, and Steve Hines, who stepped in for the injured Hargadon and played well the entire second half at right fullback.

Hargadon was cut over the left eye with just 32 seconds left in the first half, and had to receive stitches.

"I was very impressed with Hines," Ford commented, "I know I have a good backup in him. This year I think we have bench of talent."

There was only one negative note from Ford after the victory. "I was a little disappointed with our wingers," he said, "They weren't agressive enough out there."

Ford was also disappointed that his goaltender didn't see much action. The squad has "four of the best goalies of any team we'll play this year" and Ford is having a tough time picking a starter. Wesleyan's puny attack didn't help him much, as Herold is still untested in a game situation.

One gets the felling that even despite the victory, Ford is still not settled on his line-up for the season, and who knows what surprises he'll come up with next week.