Radcliffe Field Hockey Bows to Undefeated Wheaton

By Ann M. Koufman

The Radcliffe field hockey team nearly ousted Wheaton from the ranks of the undefeated yesterday in a fiercely battled 2-0 loss. Both Wheaton goals were scored in the last minute of each half.

Throughout the first half neither team could take firm command of the game because of fine stick handling and timely defense on both sides. The first goal was notched when Wheaton was finally able to penetrate the Radcliffe defense with just seconds remaining in the first half.

"After the first goal we were caught on our heels and our momentum was broken. We started reacting to Wheaton instead of making them play our game," Coach Debi Field said last night.

Although Radcliffe had several good drives, the apprehensive 'Cliffe squad used a more conservative defensive strategy in the second half. As a result, the second half remained scoreless until the last thirty seconds of the game.

"I was not happy with our performance," Field said. "We should have been able to beat Wheaton, but in the second half we played a very obvious type of game that is easy to beat."

Field said she was disappointed that some players were too hesitant and did not cut for the ball. Radcliffe's unaggressive play allowed Wheaton to control the action at crucial times. "We need to be more strategic, have more decoys and not be outrun," Field said.

This weekend Radcliffe will meet Southeastern Massachusetts University, Williams and Gordon College in the Northeastern College Field Hockey Tournament. Individual players will be selected from the 16 competing teams for three All-college teams which will compete in the Northeastern Regional tournament. The winner of this tournament will go on to the nationals at Madison college in Virginia over Thanksgiving.