JOCK SHORTS

Jim Curry and Jim Kubacki (below, right) are rapidly earning reputations for themselves aroond the Ivy League. Kubacki was named Ivy Player of the Week last week after his Harvard-record-setting performance against Columbia, and now Curry has been awarded the same honor this week.

Curry caught nine passes for 214 yards against Cornell to set a Harvard single-game record. Kubacki was 11 for 15 against the Big Red, for 230 yards.

Kubacki and Brown QB Bob Bateman lead the battle for individual Ivy stats. Bateman leads in total yards 567-539, but has played one more game than the Harvard quarterback. Princeton's Ron Beible stands third, with 395 yards in two contests.

Bateman also leads in passing with 486 yards, but has a percentage of just .527, fourth in the Ivies. Kubacki leads in percentage with .688, but is fourth in total yards.

Harvard's Curry has the most receiving yards with 305 on only 12 receptions. Crimson fullback Neal Miller needs only 27 yards rushing to reach the 1000 mark for his career.

Yale and Harvard are the tops in total offense, averaging 451.5 and 449.0 yards per game respectively. Princeton leads in defense and Harvard is the top scoring Ivy team.

The Harvard soccer team has slipped to 15th in the latest New England poll of coaches, tied with Bowdoin and Keene State. Brown continues to lead the poll, with Connecticut a strong second. The two squads battled to a 2-2 tie under the lights in Providence last Wednesday evening. The Bruins are still undefeated (4-0-2) while Connecticut has a 9-2-2 slate.

In the Ivy League, it looks like Cornell has emerged as the chief challenger to Brown (3-0). After dumping Harvard last Friday, the Big Red is now 2-0 in the league. Yale, Dartmouth and Harvard are tied at 1-1, while Columbia is 1-2 and Penn and Princeton are winless in two starts.

Harvard's Fred Herold is the second best goaltender in the league with a 2.0 average, begind Brown's Dave Flaschen (0.3)