Connecticut Confuses the Cliff To Take Decisive 3-1 Victory

By Ann M. Koufman

The Connecticut field hockey team defeated the 'Cliffe stick handlers decisively Saturday, showing from the start they could outsmart the Crimson at their own game, as they notched a 3-1 triumph.

The Crimson planned to spring a new line-up formation on their opponents but the surprise backfired when the Conn lineup in exactly the same way.

In front of a large crowd on their home field, the Conn immediately put the Crimson on the defensive by using the new line-up strategy with more dexterity and scoring early in the first half with an aggressive rush on goal.

The only Radcliffe goal was scored in the first half by the team's sharpest shooter, Maude Wood '75.

Diana Finch '75, Radcliffe field hockey co-captain, said the Crimson was so confused by their own system that Connecticut dominated the game from the beginning and controlled play for the entire first half, scoring twice.

After half time, the Crimson returned to the field less dazed and managed to control play until the last five minutes when the Conn rounded off their victory with a third goal.

Wood said the 'Cliffe's strategy and control was greatly improved during the second half but said the team should have been more aggressive.

The J.V. played its first game of the season, seeming to dominate their Conn counterparts but settling for a scoreless tie.