Harvard Ruggers Tie Jumbos, Will Meet McGill on Saturday

By James W. Reinig

The Harvard rugby team opened its season in a rather lackluster fashion last Saturday as the A team tied Tufts, 6-6, while the B team lost 4-0 to the Jumbos.

The Tufts A team gabbed the lead in the first half as it blocked a Crimson kick and took it into the endzone. The conversion put Tufts ahead 6-0.

Later in the first half, Harvard wing Richie Sherman scored on a try for four points. Grad student Gary Bond connected on the conversion attempt to tie the core. Sherman's score was set up on a run by prop Jim Feldman.

The B team lost to the Tufts B squad 4-0. The Tufts ruggers scored early in the first half but the conversion attempt for two points was no good.

The Harvard ruggers will meet McGill here on Saturday. The Crimson team traveled to Montreal last October for the one hundredth anniversary of the first meeting of the two schools. Under international rules, the Crimson lost in a close match, 6-4. The McGill squad will not return to Canada immediately after the game, but will remain for the Harvard rugby team's version of the Roman feasts, the annual pigroast on Cape Cod on Sunday.