MEM CHURCH

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

On October 3, Steven J. Chapman reporting on a conversation I had with a group of freshmen at Currier House attributed to me an opinion I do not hold. He said that I would like to see Memorial Chujch administered by three different religious leaders. This is not correct. Memorial Church is an excellent institution performing important services for the Protestant community in the university. It should be left alone to do what it is doing so well. What I do believe is that alongside the recognition and support the university gives to the Protestant religion there is a place and need for the recognition and support of Judaism.

On the day the Crimson printed my sermon it also carried an announcement by the university of a multimillion dollar drive to fund a program in Jewish studies. Some people thought that this was a response to my sermon. I therefore would like to point out that the study of Jewish history, literature and language, important as it is for Jews, is even more important for the University as an academic institution. However, Judaism is not only a subject of academic interest but is also the living religion of a substantial group in this university. Just as the study of the history and literature of Christianity has not obviated the need for Christian worship, so does the study of the history and literature of the Jewish people not obviate the need for Jewish worship and religious practice. One wonders why the University did not seek funds for this purpose. Rabbi Ben-Zion Gold