Bok's House Ignored on Halloween

Horner Out of Oreos

By Mark J. Penn and Gay Seidman

Crime, the cold air and Tommy's birthday party were the reasons for the low Halloween turnout at his house, President Bok said last night, pointing to the bowl of leftover Sugar Daddies, Milky Way bars, and Milk Duds.

Sissila Bok explained that most of the neighborhood kids had been at the house earlier in the day for her son Tommy's sixth birthday party. Tommy was the only one of the three Bok children who trick or treated last night.

Down Brattle Street at President Horner's house, however, supplies of candy were nearly exhausted by 8:30 p.m. Horner's husband, Joseph, handed out Oreo cookies and Snow-Caps to passing children while President Horner stayed at a friend's house for the evening.

Better Candy

Bok attributed the difference in popularity between his house and Horner's to the candy. "Tina probably selects her candy herself, and we let our daughters do it," he said.

When asked about the goodies at the house of Charles U. Daly, vice president for government and community affairs, Bok warned, "I'd have someone else bite into it first."

Perhaps as part of the University's austerity program, Daly was not at home, but had an electronic security system guarding against "trickers."

Ruth Hubbard, professor of Biology, was the only professor visited who answered the door herself. As she handed out the Krackles and M and M's, Hubbard apologized for not having something healthy like apples, instead of "all these empty calories."

Hubbard, who had received few visitors, said her husband George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology, was at his regular Friday night drawing class.

David Reisman, Ford II Professor of the Social Sciences, said the costumes this year have been "rather disappointing," with the exception of three girls dressed as angels.

"Boys," he said, "are very embarrassed to have fancy costumes."