Pusey Opening Delayed

By Steven A. Gield

If you walk through the barren halls of Nathan M. Pusey Library, you'll see a little yellow square of paper stuck to the wall of each room. The writing on the yellow square in study-room #36, "Install lights. Touch-up metal trim. Install thermostat. General clean-up," is representative of the minor work involved in completing construction of the library.

However, Robert R. Walsh '65, assistant librarian for Building Planning, stated yesterday that the library's opening date was two months behind schedule. Due to difficulties involved in the transfer of rare collections, the library will not open until "sometime in mid-winter," Walsh said.

The library will contain the University archives, now stored at Widener, the Houghton theater collection, the map collection from Lamont, and an extension of the Widener stacks for a total of approximately 2,000,000 books and papers.

Books are piled on the floor at over-crowded Widener and Houghton libraries, Walsh, said. He stated that the addition of Pusey would not only alleviate this condition, but would supply the University system's space needs for the next 15-20 years.

Although plans for the library were first drawn back in 1967, the project has remained within its $8.2 million budget, Walsh said.

And although the students may want to sneak through the connecting doors in Lamont for a quick look at the library, they would be advised to wait until "sometime in mid-winter," because the doors will lock behind them, leaving them trapped and with nothing to read.