Radcliffe Hockey, Tennis Teams Compete in Weekend Tourneys

By Ann M. Koufman and James W. Reinig

The Radcliffe field hockey and tennis teams are competing in championship tournaments this weekend. The field hockey squad is playing in the Northeastern College Field Hockey Tournament held in the University of Rhode Island while the tennis team is playing in the New England Championships at UMass.

The field hockey team will meet Bates, Worcester State, and Bridgeport as its draw in the tournament today. The tournament is unusual in that no overall winner is named. Instead, the focus is on individual performance and the best players will be chosen to play in qualifying tournaments for the Nationals to be held over Thanksgiving. The strongest 33 players from the 18 competing colleges will make up the all-star teams to play in the sectional rounds.

Coach Debi Field believes Radcliffe has several possible strong contenders for the All-College teams. "Maude Wood, Anne Depuis, Karen Linsley, and Carlene Rhodes are my strongest players," she said, "and if they have a good day they could really shine."

Field also indicated that Radcliffe's team strategy would not be altered because the tournament's focus is on the individual. She expects Radcliffe to beat Bates and Bridgeport, but Worcester State could be a close, tough match.

Doubles

Regionally ranked freshman Sally Roberts and the top doubles team of Lissa Muscatine and Denise Thal are Radcliffe's main hopes in the New England Championships this weekend. Muscatine and Thall are fresh from their victory in the Greater Boston Championships last week while Roberts came in second in the singles event.

Rita Funaro will play second singles for Radcliffe in the single elimination tournament while Katherine Fulton and Diana Olney will team up for the second doubles.