INHUMAN AND APPALLING

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson:

During the last year we have played squash regularly at the Linden Street courts. When the courts opened this season, we were very surprised to find that students were managing the courts instead of the regular University employees. We learned that many of these employees, who had been managing the different athletic facilities, were now providing janitorial services to the sites. The job of managing the facilities is in the hands of undergraduates, who supposedly save the University money because they work at $3.00 an hour instead of the $4.18 per hour paid to the members of the Buildings and Grounds crew.

We understand that this change has affected approximately 24 people who work in the Athletic Department of Buildings and Grounds. These workers have been told that the change saves the University money in salaries and benefits, including pensions. To us, this change is an inhuman, appalling act. Most of these people have worked for the University for 12-15 years. In their regular work, they managed various facilities, came into contact with students and faculty, and developed relationships of concern with those they served. We feel that their courteous, friendly treatment of students using these facilities, and their efficient management of these different sites, have contributed to our sense of enjoyment from athletics at this University.

Now, although their salaries remain the same, they have been removed from their usual responsibilities and have been given only janitorial duties to perform. We believe that this kind of change is unfair and insensitive. Whatever money is saved cannot be worth the loss of dignity and accustomed relationships of workers who have served the University so well for so many years. Many of these workers are near retirement. Surely the University could have waited to act. And we wonder if the undergraduates taking over these "new" jobs realize how the regular workers have been treated? Can they be willing to take part in such a deal, even with the shortage of part-time jobs and scholarship aid? Why can't students do janitorial work rather than take over the "management" part of jobs held so long by dedicated workers in the University?

We hope that some action will be taken to redress this injustice. --Neen Schwartz   Prudence King   Ellen Solomon